Creating a back-to-school clothing list can be equal parts exciting and daunting. Parents get an opportunity to contribute to their child’s confidence and self-esteem, and comfort with a new collection of stunning school clothes. Kids get a chance to showcase their own personal style and learn more about their preferences for day-to-day apparel.
But while shopping for school supplies can be fun and valuable, it’s not without its challenges. Figuring out exactly what you need to buy to adhere to school guidelines and empower your child can be easier said than done. Plus, it’s worth noting that the shopping trip at the beginning of each school year can be expensive without the right strategy.
Fortunately, we’re here to help. Today, we’re going to provide a behind-the-scenes insight into the essential components of a great school wardrobe, with tips and tricks for parents and children alike.
School Shopping: The Essentials
Before you start exploring the latest fashion trends and stocking up on accessories, it’s important to get the essentials right. While the new clothes you need to buy can vary depending on a number of factors, from your school’s uniform guidelines, to your child’s style, there are a few “must-have” items that every youngster is going to need.
Here are the essentials for your back to school clothing list:
Comfortable pants, jeans, or khakis:
A well-fitting and comfortable set of pants is a staple in any child’s wardrobe. Jeans are common among kids of all ages, and they’re fantastic at offering exceptional durability. However, depending on school style trends, you might also want to experiment with slacks, khakis, and similar options.
For the summer months, you might even want to invest in a couple of pairs of versatile shorts, as well as dresses or skirts for girls, to ensure your child can stay cool.
Basic T-Shirts, long sleeve tops, and sweaters
A variety of basic t-shirts, tops, and sweaters will be essential for creating a versatile school wardrobe. Before you dive in, it’s worth checking out your school’s dress codes and rules regarding tops for boys and girls. Some schools may prefer you to stay away from certain patterns or designs, or stick to relatively basic prints.
For kids with a dynamic sense of style, choosing a selection of basics that can be easily mixed, matched, and layered is often a good idea. Tops and sweaters that can be worn together, with different accessories and pants give kids more space to express their personal style.
The School Jacket
A great jacket is another must-have for any school wardrobe. Trends in this area change from one year to the next, so it’s a good idea for parents to bring their kids with them on school shopping trips, so they can pick something that they’re going to feel comfortable in.
If you’re shopping on a budget, choosing a jacket that can adapt to all seasons might be a good idea. A lightweight and waterproof rain jacket will provide extra protection during summer, and keep your youngster warm and dry during the colder months too.
School shoes can be one of the most daunting items to buy for a budget-conscious parent. Kids often grow like weeds, and they can quickly grow out of sneakers and dress shoes alike. Finding the right approach to combining functionality and fashion is important here.
Parents should ensure their kids have shoes that not only look great, but are comfortable and durable enough to withstand a range of different activities. You might even need to consider buying a separate pair of sneakers for sports activities.
Speaking of sportswear, don’t forget the importance of the gym kit. Alongside the right pair of shoes for the activities your child might be involved with, you’ll also need to think about a range of other items. Choose breathable and lightweight clothing to help minimize sweaty gym sessions.
Think about comfort and practicality more than anything else. You might invest in a jogger set for outdoor activities, to help keep your youngster warm, and a set of shorts for the summer months.
Stylish Trends for Different Age Groups
Even for the most fashion-conscious child or parent, keeping up with school clothing trends can be complicated. The easiest way for a parent to make sure their child feels happy and confident in their school clothes, is to ask for their input. Bring your kids with you on shopping trips, and show them some of the different school shoes and garments you might have been looking at online.
Remember to keep things age-appropriate too. The amount of freedom your child has over their back to school clothing list is likely to vary depending on their age. For instance:
- Toddler/Pre-K: For the youngest of scholars, comfort is often more important than fashion. Toddlers and pre-kindergarten children are usually too busy exploring the world around them to worry about making an impact fashion-wise. Choose soft breathable fabrics, flexible clothing, and durable garments that are easy to wash.
- Elementary school: As children transition to Elementary school, they tend to start developing their own sense of style. Encourage their individuality by getting them involved in the clothing selection process. Look for versatile garments they can mix and match, while still paying attention to comfort and durability.
- Middle school: Usually, middle school marks a period of increased social awareness and self-expression for children. Most kids at this stage will want to experiment with fashion trends. While it’s important to encourage their creativity, make sure your child is still following the school dress code, and selecting garments appropriately.
- High school: In high school, the fashion choices of students generally become more defined by personal preferences and peer interactions. Teens may be more likely to experiment with different fashion choices at this stage, from boho dresses to leather jackets. Encourage them to showcase their style, while explaining the importance of an appropriate dress code.
Building a Versatile Wardrobe
Buying the right kids clothes for school isn’t just about checking all of the boxes for essential garments mentioned above. Every new school year is a new opportunity for kids to express themselves, discover new fashion trends, and find ways to boost their self-esteem.
That’s why it’s so important to create a versatile school wardrobe, that gives children the freedom to mix and match and experiment with different looks. Encouraging kids to choose items that work well with a variety of different accompany garments and accessories is a good way to make their wardrobe more versatile. Patterned tops can be partnered with solid bottoms, and vice versa.
Neutral shades and colorful garments can be combined to create unique and interesting looks. You can even work with your youngster to choose a few “staple” garments for their wardrobe, like an eye-catching jacket, or an amazing pair of school shoes that can work with anything.
Taking a versatile approach to your back to school clothing list is a good way to avoid breaking your budget too. Matching a few staple items with a wide selection of more basic, versatile t-shirts, pants, and other options should ensure your youngster can create more outfits without spending a fortune.
Tips for Stress-Free Shopping
As mentioned above, checking off all the items on your back to school clothing list can be a lot of fun, but it can also be stressful. While some kids love shopping for new clothes, others aren’t as forthcoming about what they want to wear. Plus, if you’re shopping on a budget, you might find you need to be more strategic about how and when you shop.
Here are a few quick tips for stress-free shopping:
- Create a checklist: Go through all the garments your child currently has for school with them, and determine what you need to buy to refill their wardrobe in advance. Jot down all of the essential items, from clothing to school shoes, to accessories and outerwear. You might even assign specific budgets to each segment of your list.
- Get your child involved: Unless your child is extremely young, the chances are they’ll want to have a say in their school wardrobe. Empower them to showcase their personality, by getting them involved in the shopping process. Ask them about their personal style, their preferences, and their priorities before you begin browsing.
- Plan ahead: Don’t wait until the last minute to start your shopping journey. Start planning a few weeks before school begins to avoid the rush, and give yourself more time to explore options both online and offline. Take advantage of sales whenever possible, and stick to your budget whenever you can.
What to Wear on the First Day
Now you’ve nailed your back to school clothing list, there’s only one thing left to do: decide what to wear on the first day. The first day back to school is a big deal for children of all ages. It’s a day brimming with nervous anticipation and excitement.
As students step into a new academic year, their outfit can play a huge role in boosting their confidence, and helping them to feel at ease. While there’s no one-size-fits-all strategy for choosing the ideal first day outfit, the key to success is often collaboration.
As a parent, work with your child to help them choose an outfit that helps them to showcase their personal style, while adhering to any dress codes. Help them choose colors and pieces that boost their confidence, and make them feel fashionable, but avoid any risky choices. The last thing you want is a letter home about inappropriate clothing on your child’s first day.
Mastering the Back to School Clothing List
Getting to grips with back-to-school shopping can be challenging for both parents and children alike. As kids grow, the back to school clothing list can often become more expensive and more complex. Children develop their own styles, new trends emerge, and new “essentials” are introduced.
However, if you follow the tips above, make sure you stick to dress code rules, and embrace your child’s personal sense of style, the back-to-school shopping trip can be a lot easier.
Ready to start filling out a new school wardrobe? Get inspired by the wide selection of high-quality and comfortable clothes available from Sweet Bamboo. With options for all age ranges and personalities, you’re sure to find something that checks every box.